Festival Newsletter No 2
Distributed by email to all Devonshire Charity Stewards
Editor Dr Adrian Rogers Festival Secretary.
• We have reached £700,000 pledged or given toward the target of £3.2Million.
• The 2019 Senior Warden designate W Bro Rob Summers as the new Area Manager East.
• Book now for forthcoming events – see below.
• MCF has announced life time honorifics for all Brethren.
Message from Provincial Grand Charity Steward Dr Reuben Ayres
The new Masonic season is well underway and we have returned to our lodges following the summer recess. I hope you have enjoyed the break, the wonderful weather and had an opportunity to recharge your batteries.
The Devonshire 2023 Festival for the Masonic Charitable Foundation in now 9 months into its 5 year term. We’ve had a good start with some notable highlights including St Andrew’s Lodge No.4097 signing up every single member for a Festival Jewel and Lopes Lodge No.5526 achieving Grand Patron status.
The Provincial Benevolent Fund also made the magnificent donation of £100,000 getting our launch off to a flying start.
These are wonderful achievements and true expressions of the Masonic charitable ethos. We are also deeply grateful to the 744 generous brethren who have already signed up for a Festival jewel contributing to the £712,000 pledged towards our £3.2m target.
You the brethren of the Province of Devonshire, are of the greatest importance to the success of the Festival through your generosity, charitable spirit and justified pride in our Province.
We sincerely thank all of you who have supported the Festival: for your warm generosity, hard work and charitable spirit towards this great cause.
Please don’t forget:
• Our Festival when it comes to Lodge donations at Installation meetings.
• Organising your own events and sponsorships in support of the Festival.
I conclude with words from our Provincial Grand Master, Rt W Bro Ian Kingsbury JP, “Charitable giving is one of the cornerstones of our Order and supporting this Festival should be the main aim of Lodge fund raising and giving during this five year period.”
W. Bro Reuben Ayres
Provincial Grand Charity Steward
FOTHCOMING FUNDRAISING EVENTS
Sat 27th October – Festival Dinner and Entertainment Mount Edgcumbe Masonic Hall Plymouth. £28 per person. PGM in attendance. Contact W Bro John Pritchard
Sat 24th November HMS Christmas Dinner £35 per person. Formal dress Book through
Sat 8TH December Following the Carol Service at Exeter Cathedral 3:30- 5:15 pm Mince Pies and Wine at Freemasons Hall Gandy Street Exeter .£5 per person. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Sat 8th December Festival Christmas Dinner Gandy Street 6:15 already fully subscribed.
Sun 7th April 2019 Pullman Dining Event on Quantock Belle with a French Twist £75 per person
SOME REAL LIFE EXAMPLES OF MCF SUPPORT TO DEVONSHIRE BRETHREN
1. A substantial Funeral Grant for a deceased brother with insufficient means enables him to have a decent family funeral.
2. £15K in daily living expenses for the young family of a recently deceased Brother. Truly needed relief.
3. £3000 Talent Aid, to fund extra educational help for the child of a low income Masonic Family who has exceptional talents.
4. Support to finish University for the two children of a Brother who deserted his wife and family leaving them bankrupt.
5. A Brother with a serious medical condition receives £3000 for a specialist mobility scooter – a life changing enhancement.
6. £20K to various Brethren in pain who needed replacement joints and were able to avoid 2 year local waiting lists.
7. £15K to various Brethren with advancing sight related conditions to bring forward treatment by 6 months.
Jail Ale and Legend
Do please continue to encourage members to choose the Jail Ale & Legend Beers from Dartmoor brewery, supplied by W Bro Alan Gill. Both are premium beers and 60p goes to the Festival per bottle!
This club is slowly growing and brethren are winning prizes Please do contact W Bro Adrian Harlock at email@example.com or on 07798757005, who will be pleased to send you the Forms. Subscription is by a quarterly standing order payable 14th March, June, September, December, at a cost of £13 per Number per quarter. All the profits go to the Festival.
The regalia exchange is present in the Provincial Office but as yet is not up and running on the website – do please contact W Bro Mr Andrew Yelland – firstname.lastname@example.org – if Brethren would like to donate or purchase.
W Bro Andrew Yelland is co-ordinating festival friends and always welcomes new offers of help- remember – however junior or senior you may be – if you have time or talent to offer please make contact – email@example.com
Life Time Honorifics
The MCF have instituted life time honorifics which means that any money given to the MCF over your life time can be accrued to achieve the following
A brother giving £6000 over his life to the MCF will be a Grand Patron which would be a fantastic achievement.
Carol Service December 8th Exeter Cathedral 2:30pm
The collection from this year’s Carol Service will be going to the MCF so please bring friends, families, children, neighbours to fill up the Cathedral and hear the Christmas Story read by our Brethren and beautiful music and carols we can all share.
Dr Adrian Rogers, Festival Secretary